Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Listening: Guru's Story-Telling Skills Are Not to Be Slept On!


I don't know about you, but I consider myself a true Hip-Hop aficionado. And as a former DJ, one thing I hate is having my taste in music questioned. (No, I'm not this arrogant about anything else - certainly not my writing.) So when someone has something negative to say about a song or artist I like, or if they don't think an artist is as good as I think he/she is, I tend to take it rather personally. (This coming from someone who disses Lil Wayne like it's an Olympic event.)

OK, here's what happened: About three weeks ago on Twitter, a certain music critic dude you might have heard of (I'm not naming him here) decided to ask his followers who they thought the five greatest MCs were. Somewhere in the middle of the conversation, which I followed closely, a recording artist (not naming him, either) gave his top five favorite story-tellers in Hip-Hop; included on the list was Biggie, Scarface, and of course Slick Rick was at the top. So I decided to ask the music critic, "Am I the only one who thinks Guru's story-telling skills are slept on ('Just to Get a Rep', 'Soliloquy of Chaos', 'All For the Cash')?"

His response: "Yep."

Not the response I was looking for. Look, I realize Guru wasn't exactly Slick Rick, but if you don't think he was one of Hip-Hop's best story-tellers, then maybe you should give those tracks (plus a few others) another listen. That's where one of Blogspot's least-read bloggers comes in. (Six followers in my first year! Fuck with me now!)




"Just To Get A Rep"

From Step In The Arena








"Soliloquy Of Chaos"

From Daily Operation








"Sights In The City"

From Jazzmatazz Volume 1








"The Planet"

From Hard To Earn








"All 4 Tha Ca$h"

From Full Clip: A Decade Of Gang Starr








"Betrayal"

From Moment Of Truth








"Sabotage"

From The Ownerz


No comments:

Post a Comment