Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Geek Sh*t: How Google Can Make the Nexus Two a Success (If They Decide to Release One) (UPDATED)


(Me unboxing my Nexus One. Yes, I'm that geeky.)

Hello, my name is phive0phor, and I'm an Android fanboy. It started when I purchased a T-Mobile G1 in June of 2009, my first smartphone and the first Android phone. About a year later, I purchased a T-Mobile-compatible Nexus One, the official Google Phone. Yes, there are Android phones out there with more features and greater internal memory, but most of them have manufacturer-designed custom interfaces (which hampers the software-updating process), and carrier-installed bloatware, neither of which can be uninstalled without "rooting" (hacking) the device. Not that I haven't thought about rooting my Nexus; there are custom ROMs out there that could give my phone even greater functionality than it already has. But doing so would not only void my warranty, it could pose a security risk. Also, if I mess up one step in the ROM installation process, I could brick my almost $600 device. No, thanks.

Anyway, Google sells the Nexus One (only to Android developers now, but there are still a few places online where the general public can purchase one) carrier-unlocked, which means no bloatware/carrier restrictions. And it runs the "Vanilla" (stock) Android user interface, which I personally prefer. And - most important to me - the Nexus One is the first in line to get software updates from Google; we Nexus One users got our update to Android 2.2 (codenamed "Froyo") at least a month before EVO 4G owners did. And Samsung Galaxy S owners, as of this writing, are still waiting.

So to eliminate all of that, I think Google should go back on their word and release a Nexus Two phone. But I also think they should do a few things differently this time around. For example:

DITCH THE INTERNET-ONLY ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN. Maybe it was part of Google's strategy to attract the phone-nerds (like myself), because we were/are the only ones who actually read reviews and watch videos on sites like CNET and PhoneDog.Com. But the average user doesn't, so they need a strategy to attract them. I mean seriously, there are videos on YouTube that would have made excellent Super Bowl commercials, but instead of using that very important time slot to advertise the phone, they ran an ad for their search engine, something everyone already uses. Meanwhile, I can count the other people I've seen with Nexus Ones on one hand. Come on, now...

PUT IT IN STORES. The average user isn't willing to spend a butt-load of money for a phone they can't test out first. (Hell, I still can't believe I did it!) I understand the bypass-the-carrier concept behind the Google online phone store, but they could still achieve that goal if they sold it unlocked in stores like Best Buy and Radio Shack. And customers can try before they buy. And more would choose to buy. Win-win.

MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO ALL FOUR NATIONAL CELLULAR NETWORKS. Look, I happen to like T-Mobile, but not everyone does. And fewer people like AT&T. Verizon right now has the largest network, and Sprint has the best deals. So this time, Google should make sure there's a version available for each of the four major networks. That way, you can get it into as many hands as possible (thereby sticking it to the iPhone). Again, win-win.

Let me just say that I'm no marketing expert, and I don't expect anyone at Google to listen to these suggestions, or even read this blog. (Honestly, I'm surprised you're reading it.) But the Nexus One will reach the end of its life one of these days. And as an Android fan, I hope I'll be able to buy a true follow-up so I can continue to experience the operating system the way Google intended. And maybe, just maybe, they'll figure out a way to get it into the mainstream. My fingers are crossed...

UPDATE: Maybe, just maybe, my prayers have been answered...

No comments:

Post a Comment