Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Day the Word "Swagga" Jumped the Shark

There comes a time when words, phrases or gestures lose their coolness. When Paris Hilton, for example, trademarked the phrase "That's Hot", I knew it was time to stop using it - not because I feared a copyright infringement lawsuit, mind you (although part of me hopes Ms. Hilton didn't just become my third reader), it's just that when certain words go mainstream, they lose their impact.

Well, thanks to CNN's T.J. Holmes and (especially) Kira Phillips, we can now bury "swagga" in the slang graveyard.

WATCH:




At this point, I just hope CNN doesn't decide to air a special report called "Is It Still Trickin' If You Got It?"

2 comments:

  1. that word is the worst! i prefer "charisma" or "countenance". Hell, plain ol' "personality" would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Maybe someone should record a song called "Charisma Like Us"? ...Nah.

    ReplyDelete